Monday 15 June 2009

Standing up for simplicity

I am finally feeling much better, due, I suspect, to my spending most of yesterday asleep!

No great and startling insights (no change there, then!), but another poem, prompted by some thoughts on consumerism and the pressure on young women.

shopping list

self-esteem
size 8

designer tag with free
handbag

stilting stilettos
to stiffen the spine

lippy
because I cannot be
without it


I believe one of the best things we can do for our children and young adult members is to instil in them a healthy disregard for advertising and consumerism. The pressure to conform is so strong in the young, and they need all our support to stand up against 'retail therapy', label hierarchy and body fascist cultures.

Hmm. Guess I did have something to say, after all.

1 comment:

Jan Lyn said...

Sure did, Heather and I for one agree!